Division, Age and Group Size Info
Note: Recreational Divisions will now be split into four age groups: 8 & under, 9-11, 12-14 and 15-19 for High Score Overall Awards when minimum routine count requirements are met.
- Novice Gems - For the recreational dancer that meets at least two of the following criteria:
- Trains two hours or less per week
- Has had a total of two years or less of training in any one or a combination of dance forms
- First year competitors (one year is a season of nine months or more)
- Note: Solos and Duos/Trios must be 100% Novice Gems.Groups and lines may be 70% Novice Gems with the remaining 30% Future Gems. Pointe routines are not allowed in this division.
- Future Gems - For the recreational dancer that meets the following criteria:
- Trains five hours or less per week over the past three years
- Time is inclusive of training in any genre in or out of the studio
- Competitive - For the competitive dancer who trains more than five hour per week and based solely on age, as follows:
- Petite - ages 8 and under
- Junior - ages 9-11
- Teen - ages 12-14
- Senior - ages 15-19
- Adult - For a routine with any one dancer age 20 or older
DIVISION CONFLICT RULE
Any recreational dancer registered in more than five competitive division routines (excluding Productions) will be ineligible to compete in the recreational divisions. Any routine found to be in violation of the Division Conflict rule will be automatically moved to the competitive division and the studio will be notified by email.
Enter dancers according to age as of January 1, 2017. For duo/trios, groups, and lines, average the dancers’ ages and drop all decimals to determine the age group. Age groups are: 4& under, 5-6, 7-8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17-19, 20-28, 29+.
GROUP SIZES & TIME LIMITS
- Solo - 1 Dancer | 2:45 Standard | 3:15 Extended
- Duo/Trio - 2-3 Dancers | 2:45 Standard | 3:15 Extended
- Small Group - 4-9 Dancers | 3:00 Standard | 4:00 Extended
- Large Group - 10-19 Dancers | 4:00 Standard | 6:00 Extended
- Line - 20+ Dancers | 4:00 Standard | 7:00 Extended
- Production - 20+ Dancers | 6:00 Standard | 10:00 Extended
Note: Extended time limits include set-up and tear-down of props and stage sets. Routines must be pre-registered for Extended Time as this cannot be added after a routine has already performed.