Division, Age and Group Size Info

Please read level descriptions carefully and be fair and honest with dancer placement.

DIVISIONS

  • Novice Gems - For the beginner dancer who trains a maximum of 2 hours per week and has a maximum of 2 years of training.
  • Future Gems - For the intermediate dancer who trains a maximum of 5 hours per week and has a maximum of 5 years of training.
  • Elite Gems - For the advanced dancer who trains more than 5 hours per week or for any dancer with more advanced skills regardless of hours of dance training
  • Adult - For a routine with any one dancer age 20 or older. 

DIVISION PLACEMENT
Studios will assign a division to each dancer during the registration process. Division placement is at the discretion of the studio directors and teachers. Please read descriptions carefully and be fair and honest with dancer placement. NOTE: No Elite Gems dancer is permitted in Novice Gems or Future Gems Divisions. NOTE: A dancer may only compete in a maximum of two levels. These levels must be consecutive.

  • Solos - Soloists must perform all solos within their assigned division
  • Duos/Trios - Division is determined by its highest level dancer.
  • Groups & LinesNovice Gems groups and lines must be 70% Novice Gems with the remaining 30% Future Gems. | Future Gems groups and lines must be 100% Novice Gems or Future Gems. | Elite Gems groups and lines must be 100% Future Gems or Elite Gems.

DIVISION CONFLICT RULE

ANY Novice Gems or Future Gems dancer registered in more than 5 Elite Gems routines (excluding Productions) will be ineligible to compete in the Novice Gems and Future Gems divisions. Any routine found to be in violation of the Division Conflict rule will be automatically moved to the Elite Gems division and the studio will be notified by email. NOTE: At the event, if the judges unanimously determine that a routine should be competed at a higher level, the routine will be bumped and scored as adjudication only, at the Event Manager’s discretion.

AGE CATEGORIES & GROUPS

Enter dancers according to age as of January 1, 2018. For duo/trios, groups, and lines, the dancers’ ages will be averaged and the decimal dropped to determine the age category and group.

  • Petite - 4 & under, 5-6, 7-8
  • Junior - 9, 10, 11
  • Teen - 12, 13, 14
  • Senior - 15, 16, 17-19
  • Adult - 20-28, 29+

GROUP SIZES & TIME LIMITS

  • Solo - 1 Dancer | 2:45 Standard | 3:15 Extended
  • Duo/Trio - 2-3 Dancers | 2:45 Standard | 3:45 Extended
  • Small Group - 4-9 Dancers | 3:00 Standard | 4:00 Extended
  • Large Group - 10-19 Dancers | 4:00 Standard | 6:00 Extended
  • Line - 20+ Dancers | 4:00 Standard | 7:00 Extended
  • Production - 15+ Dancers | 8:00 Standard | 10:00 Extended

NOTE: All Solos, Duos/Trios, Groups and Lines are allowed an additional 1 minute total time (3 minutes for Productions) for set-up and tear-down of props and stage sets. If a routine exceeds the total Standard or Extended Time plus the allowed prop set time stated above, penalties may be assessed. Routines must be pre-registered for Extended Time as this cannot be added after a routine has already performed.